“Hi there! It’s Emakina calling for your phone interview.” When you apply to one of our vacancies, we like to get to know you a bit better before we move on to face-to-face interviews.
The phone interview is part of our hiring process. It is your first conversation with someone from Emakina (usually a Recruiter). It is a great moment to get to know each other and to see if we both feel there’s a match.
It usually takes around 30 to 45 minutes which means that it will be a straightforward conversation and it will cover basic, but important aspects about Emakina, the job opening, your experience and ambitions.
The importance of the phone interview
There’s four main reasons why the phone interview is important:
- It is your chance to introduce yourself verbally: you can provide more context on your profile, things you like to do and what excites you about a job.
- You get to know us better: we will explain more about our business, the job opening and why Emakina is an awesome place to work!
- It is when we evaluate your communication skills: we will evaluate your level of English and how well you get a point across. Both are valuable skills for all of our available positions.
- It is our first step assessing you: it’s our first assessment to see if you are a good match with Emakina and the role. It’s about experience as well as cultural fit. So make sure you are transparent and clear about your skills and wishes.
What happens after the phone interview?
The recruiter takes all the insights from the phone interview, as well as your resume, cover letter and other documents that you’ve shared into a conversations with everyone involved in the hiring process. That would most likely be your future manager and some of your future team members. Together they evaluate your application and will decide how to proceed. The recruiter will get in touch with you immediately after that.
Doing your homework…
If you are invited for a phone interview, you can definitely prepare for it. These are some things you can do in advance:
- Read about Emakina: do not only focus on the vacancy, but also read about our business and culture. Make sure to check our blogs and videos.
- Prepare what you want to say: the phone interview is quite short, so make sure you can summarise your experience and structure it logically. Choose a couple of things that you’d like to highlight during our talk.
- Think about things that make you, you: we want to get to know you as a professional, but also as a person. So there’s definitely room to talk about things that are important to you or that you do really well. The more we learn about you in our first conversation, the better it is!
- Prepare questions: if you have any questions, this is the time to ask them. Maybe you’d like to know more about the company or your new team? We’re happy to answer all your questions.
- Relax: Even though we are both evaluating each other, this is a conversation, there is no need for stress. Really.
Be transparent, be honest and be you!
You can trust we will do our utmost best to get to know you as a person and to check if Emakina is the best option for your career.
Check out our current vacancies and hopefully we will give you a call soon!